Lake Eildon is Victoria’s most popular inland waterway for Recreational Boating Activities. Recent Transport Safety Victoria report (2015) indicated that 58% of Recreational Boating happens on Port Phillip Bay & Coastal areas, leaving 42% for Inland Waters; 25% of this Boating Activity happens at Lake Eildon (Muray River only 20%).
Lake Eildon has 515km of shoreline and stores when at full capacity six times as much water as Sydney Harbour. Lake Eildon National Park abuts a large percentage of the Lake providing habitat for wildlife including kangaroos, wombats and bird life. Surrounding Lake Eildon are options for Holiday Homes, Motels, Hotels, Bed & Breakfasts, Caravan Parks, Clubs, Camping and a substantial Houseboat Fleet. Lake Eildon is the only waterway in Victoria where houseboats are permitted.
Currently there are Licences for around 750 Houseboats to be on Lake Eildon. Houseboats range in shape, size and price, from providing a Caravaning experience on water to the latest Houseboats, with the latest technology, being holiday homes on the water. Lake Eildon is most popular with the recreational fisher-person, who chase the Rainbow & Brown Trout, and Redfin. Over recent years the Lake has been seeded with Murray Cod and Golden Perch (Yellowbelly) by the Victorian Fisheries Authority. These Native Fish are proving to be most popular and have added to the attraction.
Water sports, Skiing, Wakeboarding, Kayaking & Canoeing are all most popular on this relatively safe waterway. Lake Eildon is a relatively safe waterway WITHOUT any sharks, crocodiles, or jellyfish stingers. There are many dining experiences around the Lake.
Lake Eildon is very much a great recreational space for families to enjoy together. Lake Eildon is a magical place, the serenity, the camp fires, the bush walks; the water sports, the brilliant sunsets, the chandelier of stars at night, simply magnificent